We love big calligraphy on the floor, that’s why we produce Giant Writing Tools. Please take a look and feel free to contact us if you have any questions
Giant Flexible Pen
The Giant Flexible Pen is a Giant Writing Tool for writing on the floor. Its pressure sensitive twin nib imitates the expanding stroke of copperplate pens. Some of you might know such a tool as “Whopperplate”.
- Sheet bronze, 1 mm, spring hard
- Léonard stencilling brushes series 397, 12 mm, pig bristles, replaceable
- Continuous adjustable flexure for custom hardness
- Square cut handle, slightly rounded for perfect control
- Light weight spruce wood, open-pored,
25 × 25 mm
- Total length 110 cm / 100 cm, total weight 540 g
- Handcrafted small series
- Manufactured by an organ builder and precision mechanic
- Made in Werder (Havel), Germany
- Customizable (e. g. length, handle, decor)
- 120 €
This Giant Writing Tool is inspired by the work of several type teachers.
Apparently the first who had built such a tool was Bill Hildebrandt from Connecticut. He sold a smaller tool called “Whopperplate”®. We only saw some small photos and a video in which Paul Antonio uses his one.
We first saw such a giant pen in the hands of Erik von Blokland, Netherlands. He had built one for teaching the different principles of letter shapes after Gerrit Noordzij: Expansion vs. Translation. Look here, and here.
Further we know of Timothy Donaldson’s giant pointed pen in England.